Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What are you going to do this winter?



My friend, Melody, sent me this cartoon. I'd love to say that it really is me. But it is not. I do not like winter or being outside in the cold. But cycling is my main activity. So what am I going to do this winter? How are you doing to get motivated to move this winter?
Try something new
We (my husband and I) joined 24/7 and so far it is okay. We have only made it there at 5:30 am one time. Oh, when that alarm goes off at 5:15 am it is absolutely shocking to my system. And, honestly, that whole workout seemed like a dream because it was dark when we went and dark when we came home. We are still working on a daily schedule. But mornings do seem to work better because we are so tired in the evenings. It does help to have someone who also wants to go. So find a workout buddy who helps to keep you be accountable to whatever activity you choose.
Add simple extras
When you are at home add a few extras into your daily routine. For example, if you have stairs turn around and climb them again before reaching your destination. If you did, this every time you went up and down you would add a little extra movement and good steps to your day. It is recommended we walk 10,000 steps every day. Have you ever worn a step counter to see how you do? On an average day I walk 3,000 steps and I am in and out of my office. On a busier day I walk around 5,000 steps. So to hit 10,000 steps you need to take an extra lap during the day often, run the steps a few times before you hit the shower in the morning, or walk a few laps around the interior of your house. See if a co-worker will walk with you during your lunch hour or right after work. Many schools allow walkers during certain times of the day for free.
You could also do some simple 10 minute exercises like back leg kicks while cooking dinner or lunges while watching the news. While at your desk sit up straight and tense your abs. You will know you are doing it correctly if you can still talk and breathe while tensing.
All of these things will add to your regular workout routine.
Be creative and get moving!

No comments: